Abdullah- Al Mamun
Department of Fisheries and Marine Science
Noakhali Science and Technology University
Sonapur, Noakhali 3802, Bangladesh
Contact Number: +8801712928710
Professional Working Experience
- July 2011 to till date
Assistant Professor, Department of Fisheries and Marine Science, Noakhali Science and Technology University, Sonapur, Noakhali 3802, Bangladesh
Involved in teaching activities especially in the field of Fisheries Biology & Genetics and Marine & Estuarine Ecology
- July 2009 to July 2011
Lecturer, Department of Fisheries and Marine Science, Noakhali Science and Technology University, Sonapur, Noakhali 3802, Bangladesh
Involved in teaching activities especially in the field of Fisheries Biology &Genetics and Marine & Estuarine Ecology
- June 2007 to July 2009
Scientific Officer, Reproductive Physiology & Genetics and Brackishwater Aquaculture Division, Brackishwater Station, Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute (BFRI), Paikgacha, Khulna, Bangladesh
Involved in research activities as member of Fish Genetics Research and Brackishwater Aquaculture Group, BFRI. In addition to research activities, engaged in formulation of national research proposal related to fish biotechnology and aquaculture.
- Jan 2006 to June 2007
Research Fellow, Dept. of Fisheries Biology & Genetics, Faculty of Fisheries, BAU
Implementation of research on “Causes for reduced growth in Indian major carps and the consequences”
List of Published Research Work
- Md. Rafiqul Islam Sarder, Vibeke Simonsen, Md. Faridul Islam and Abdullah-Al Mamun. 2007. Effects of hybridization on growth and production of Indian major carps (Catla catla. Labeo rohita. Cirrhinus cirrhosus) and their hybrids. In: Fisheries and Aquaculture: Strategies outlook for Asia, Book of Abstracts. 8th Asian Fisheries Forum (Organized by Asian Fisheries society, Indian brance). November 20-23, 2007. Kochi, India, p 133.
- Abdullah-Al Mamun, Nazrul, K. M. S., Sarker, B. S., Rahman M. M. and Tonny, U. S. (2011) Morphometric and meristic characteristics and their variations between two different strains (GIFT & GIFU) of Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus In: Proceedings of the ninth International symposium on Tilapia in aquaculture (Published by the AquaFish Collaborative Research Support Program), Editors: Liping, L. and Fitzsimmons, K., 22-24 April 2011, Shanghai Ocean University, Shanghai, China, p228-235.
- Begum, M., Shah, M.M.R., Abdullah-Al Mamun and Alam, M.J. (2007). Feasibility of bi-culture of mud crab (Scylla serrata) with shrimp (Penaeus monodon). Bangladesh J. Fish. Res. 11(2):189-196.
- Abdullah-Al Mamun, Begum, M., Mia, M.Y. and Alam, M.J. (2008) Food and feeding habits of mud crab (Scylla serrata) in Bangladesh. J. Bangladesh Soc. Agric. Sci. & Technol., 5 (3&4):141-144.
- Abdullah-Al Mamun, Sarder, M.R.I. and Rahman, M.M. (2010). Growth performance of genetically male (GMT) and hormone induced sex reversed male tilapia (oreochromis niloticus l.) in earthen pond aquaculture system. Bangladesh J. Zool. 38(2): 163-169.
- Begum, M., Abdullah-Al Mamun and Alam, M.J. (2009) Comparative studies on growth performance between male and female of estuarine cat fish (Mystus gulio). Bangladesh J. Agril. Sci. 36(1):75-80
- Begum, M., Abdullah-Al Mamun, Islam, M.L., Islam, M.A. and Alam, M.J. (2008) Morphometric characters and their relationship in estuarine catfish. J. Bangladesh Agril. Univ. 6(2):349-353.
- Begum, M., Shah, M.M.R., Abdullah-Al Mamun and Alam, M.J.(2009) Comparative study of mud crab (Scylla serrata) fattening practices between two different systems in Bangladesh. J. Bangladesh Agril. University 7(1):151-156.
- Begum, M., Shah,M.M.R., Abdullah-Al Mamun and Alam, M.J. (2008) Optimization of the compartment size of cage for mud crab (Scylla serrata) fattening in lentic and lotic water system in Bangladesh. J. Bangladesh Soc. Agric. Sci. & Technol., 5 (1&2):213-216.
- Alam M.J, Begum, M., Pal, H.K., Islam, M.A. and Abdullah-Al Mamun. 2008. Preliminary success on the hormone induced captive breeding of goldspot mullet (Liza parsia). Bangladesh J. Fish. Res. 12(2):151-156.
- Begum, M., Abdullah-Al Mamun, Pal, H.K., Islam M.A. and Alam, M.J. (2008) Effects of stocking density on the growth and survival of M gulio in nursery ponds. Bangladesh Journal of Fisheries Research 12(2):179-186.
- Begum M., Abdullah-Al Mamun and M.J. Alam. 2010. Polyculture of mud crab (Scylla serrata), shrimp (Penaeus monodon) and GIFT (Oreochromis nilotica) in grow out ponds. BARC journal. (Accepted)
- Abdullah-Al Mamun, Ahmed,S., and Phillot, A., (2011) History, present status and future prospect of sea turtle research and conservation in Bangladesh. 31st International Sea Turtle Symposium, 12-15 April, San Diego, California, USA.
Books and Articles
- Alam. M. J., Begum, M., Pal, H. K., Islam, M. A., Abdullah-Al Mamun, 2009. Biology, Breeding and Seed Production of Selected Estuarine Finfish (Mystus gulio & Liza parsia). Final Report. Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute, Brackishwater Station, Paikgacha, Khulna-9280, Bangladesh. 49p.
- Begum, M., Abullah-Al Mamun and Alam, M. J. (2009) Eco-friendly Integrated Improved Mud crab Fattening, Shrimp and Fish Culture Technique. Extension Booklet#34. Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute, Brackishwater Station, Paikgacha, Khulna-9280, Bangladesh. 28p.
Name of the Training and Workshop Attended
- International Training course on “Laboratory Animal Science’’ at Veterinary department of Utrecht University, The Netherlands. Sponsored by Laboratory Animal Limited, UK. Held on 4-15 July, 2011.
- First South Asia Sub-regional Workshop of UNEP / CMS Memorandum of Understanding on the Conservation and Management of Dugongs and their Habitats throughout their Range in the South Asia, Sponsored by United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP)/Convention on Migratory Species (CMS) Office – Abu Dhabi and the Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD), Organized by Wildlife Institute of India, held on 6-7 June 2011 in Tuticorin, TamilNadu, India.
- Technical Meeting for the Conservation of the Dugong and its Habitat and associated meeting on Marine Turtles in the North West Indian Ocean (NWIO), Sponsored by United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP)/Convention on Migratory Species (CMS) Office – Abu Dhabi and the Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD), held on 20-21 September 2010 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- 30th International Symposium on “Sea turtle conservation and Biodiversity”. Kala Academy, Panaji Goa, India Organized by International Sea Turtle Society. 24th April 30th April 2010
- International Course on “Coastal Biodiversity in Mangrove Ecosystems” Sponsored by United Nations University (UNU), Japan, International Network on Water, Environment & Health (INWEH), Canada, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Paris, Organized by Annamalai University, held at Centre of Advanced Studies in Marine Biology, Parangipettai, Tamil Nadu, India, during November 2-16, 2009.
- Training Course on “Fisheries and Aquaculture Research” from 28-31 March 2004 Organized by Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute (BFRI), Mymensingh.
- Aquaculture and Extension: MAEP Experiences from 22th to 27th June, 2002.
- 6 days visit for acquiring knowledge with organizational set-up, current programmes, activities and working procedures of the upazila level Fisheries, Agriculture, Hatchery Mangement, Fry Production, Fish marketing, livestock, and rural development programmes from 12th to 17th June, 2004 in Muktagacha upazila under Mymensingh district.
- Training Course on “Aquaculture, Extension and Training Methodology for University Students” from 05-08 April 2004 Organized by NFRDMP, Dinajpur.
- Training Course on “Basic of MS Office” during 16-28 June 2007, from GTI, BAU, Mymensingh.
- Training Course on “Office Management” during 25-27 December 2007 from BFRI, Mymensingh.
- Training course on “Polyculture Technique of Brackishwater Shrimp” from 06-08 May 2008 organized by BFRI.
- Training Course on “BFRI Super Tilapia Monosex production and Management” from 14-18 March 2008 organized by BFRI, Mymensingh.
- Training Course on “Quality Assurance and Food Safety with Special Emphasis on HACCP System” from July 11-15, 2010 organized by Strengthening of Fish Inspection and Quality Control Services Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock & Bangladesh Quality Support Program-Fisheries, UNIDO, held at Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh.
- Workshop on 3rd Fisheries Conference and Research Fair 2008 organized by Bangladesh Fisheries Research Forum (BFRF) held at BARC, Dhaka, 16-17 January, 2008
- Workshop on “Potential Impacts of Climate Change on Fisheries and Aquaculture in Bangladesh” organized by Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh and Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, Scotland, UK held on November 4th 2008, Khulna, Bangladesh.
- Workshop on “Client Identification in Shrimp Industry”, organized by USAID funded PRICE Project held at Hotel Royal Int. Khulna, 22 June, 2009
Research project under taken:
- Amin, M., and Abdullah-Al Mamun (2011), Development of an integrated rice-fish production system in lower Meghna river floodplain of Noakhali and Lakshmipur districts (In progress), Funded by KGF, Dhaka.
- Akteruzzaman M, M.A.M. Miah, Abdullah-Al Mamun and Faiz Ahmed (2009) Improvement of Integrated Farming Systems for Maximizing Income, Food Security and Human Nutrition in Noakhali Region of Bangladesh (in progress), Funded by DANIDA, Dhaka.
- Abdullah-Al Mamun, D. Shaha (2010) Aquaculture Management of 32 Acres floodplain Area of Noakhali Science and Technology University, Funded by NSTU.
- Begum, M., Abullah-Al Mamun (2008) On-farm trials and demonstration of improved mud crab (Scylla serrata) fattening practices. Funded by ATT, BARC, Dhaka.
- Begum, M. Abullah-Al Mamun Polyculture of mud crab, Scylla serrata with shrimp and other brackishwater finfishes 2006. Funded by core research programme BFRI.
- Alam M. J., Begum, M., Pal, H. K., Islam, M. A., Abullah-Al Mamun, Biology, Breeding and Seed Production of Selected Estuarine Finfish Species (M. gulio & L. parsia). Funded by core research programme BFRI.
- Islam, M.L., Pal, H. K. and Abullah-Al Mamun, 2008 Concurrent Culture of Shrimp (Penaeus monodon) and Prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) in Brackishwater Environment. Funded by core research programme BFRI.
- IELTS overall band score: 6.5 (Exam held on 30 April 2011)
Listening 6.5, Reading 6.5, Writing 7 and Speaking 6.
- Master of Science in Fisheries Biology and Genetics
Faculty of Fisheries, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU)
January 2006-June 2007 (Medium of instruction is English)
Ranked in First division, CGPA 3.891 (out of 4)
- Bachelor of Science (Honors) in Fisheries
Faculty of Fisheries, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU)
2001- 2004 (exam held in 2005 and Medium of instruction is English)
Ranked in First class 14th position (70.10%)
- Higher Secondary Certificate Examination in Science group -2000
Comilla Victoria Govt. College, Comilla, Bangladesh
June 1998-June 2000
Ranked in the First Division (71%).
- Secondary School Certificate Examination in Science group -1998
Suapara G.K. High School, Shahrasti, Chandpur, Bangladesh
Jan 1993-May 1998
Ranked in the First Division (76%).
Experiences in computer software and literacy
- MS word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and Well access in Internet.
- Name: ABDULLAH-AL MAMUN
- Name of father: Md. Abdul Barek
- Date of Birth: 05th December 1983
- Place of birth: Shahrasti, Chandpur
- Gender: Male
- Nationality: Bangladeshi
- Religion: Islam
- Languages: English and Bengali (both written and spoken)
- Marital status: Married
- Blood Group: A+
- Permanent address: Vill: Suapara, P.O.: Kaliapara, P.S.: Shahrasti, District: Chandpur, Bangladesh
- Dr. Md. Rafiqul Islam sarder
Professor, Department of Fisheries Biology & Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University,
Tel: 880-91-55695-97; Fax: 880-91-55810, Mobil: +880 1712 015908, Email: email@example.com
- Dr. M. A. Salam, PhD (Stirling) Post-Doc (Texas A&M)
Professor, Department of Aquaculture, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh
Tel: 880-91-61510; Fax: 880-91-55810, Mobile: +880 1711024408, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Md. Jahangir Alam
Professor & Head, Department of Fisheries Technology, Faculty of Fisheries, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University, Gazipur 1760, Bangladesh and Former Chief Scientific Officer of Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute,
Tel: +88 02 9205310-4/2256; Fax: +88 02 9205333, Mob: +88 01715 143521, Email: email@example.com
Visited 676 times, 1 visits today | Have any fisheries relevant question?