Md. Rashedul Kabir Mondol
Assistant Professor (On study-leave)
Department of Fisheries
University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205
Ex-Research fellow, SUFFER project, DFID
B. Sc. Fisheries (Hons.) and M. S in Fisheries Biology and Genetics
Bangladesh Agricultural University
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
PhD student, Australian Rivers Institute, Environment 2 Bldg N13, 2.02A, Nathan Campus, Griffith University
170 Kessels Road, Nathan QLD 4111, Australia
Tel +61 7 3735 7727 | Fax +61 7 37357459 | Mob +61 470526698
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and Web Profile
Area of specialization:
His current research focus is on the development of aquaculture techniques, especially hatchery and nursery techniques, for the native and various exotic species. Ongoing research in his laboratory includes length-weight relationship of some endangered fish species. His past research focused on molecular analysis of wild and cultured stocks of Catla catla and Cyprinus carpio that support aquaculture industry in South Asia. Little was known about the levels and patterns of genetic diversity in either wild or cultured stock of these two species. These projects used microsatellite DNA marker to characterize genetic diversity and to use this information to assist efforts to identify new approaches for improving culture stocks in the South Asian region. Another project was focused on optimization of stocking density for Giant Freshwater Prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) for pond aquaculture. Identification of new waterbody for aquaculture through ecological study was another approach.
- Aquaculture Genetics
- Population and Conservation genetics
- Reproductive Physiology
- Molecular mechanism of disease
- Ecology and evolution
The focus of my future research is to use various genetic approaches to improve the productivity and sustainability of aquaculture and fisheries management. Specific areas of interest include population genetics, functional genomics, ecological genomics, molecular biology, QTL mapping for important aquatic species and development of molecular marker for MAS in selective breeding of important aquatic species.
- M. S. in Fisheries Biology and Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh (2004)- Grade A [Thesis Title: Characterization of Different Strains of Common Carp using Microsatellite DNA markers and Research focused on genetic variability, genetic marker.]
- B. Sc. Fisheries (Honours) from Faculty of Fisheries, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh (2003)- First Class.
- H. S. C Examination from Government Azizul Haque College, Bogra, Bangladesh (1997)- First Division.
- S. S. C Examination from Varatkhali High School, Gaibandha, Bangladesh (1995)- First Division.
- Now teaching as an Assistant Professor at the same department since February 13, 2009 to date. Assigned to take theoretical and practical classes and to supervise research work conducted by graduate and postgraduate student of the department.
- Joined as a Lecturer in the Department of Fisheries, University of Rajshahi on 13th February, 2006 to till 12th February, 2009 and was involved in teaching to bachelor and masters level and research activities of the department.
Current Teaching Duties on
FHT-201 Fish Physiology
FRT-221 Cytology, Cytogenetics and Histology
FRT-321 Biostatistics and Research Methodology
FHT-402 Genetics and Fish Breeding
FMBC-503 Fish Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
FMBO-505 Biodiversity of Aquatic Animals
FMBC- 603 Fish Population and Conservation Genetics
- Worked as a “Research Fellow” in the research project entitled “Comparative studies on genetic variability between wild and hatchery stocks of catla (Catla catla Hamilton) by microsatellite marker and implication of hatchery management practices on its pond performance” funded by Support for University Fisheries Education and Research (SUFFER), DFID in the Department of Fisheries Biology and Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh.
- Work as an “Research Assistant” from January 2004 to December 2004 at in the research project entitled “Genetic variability of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) in hatcheries of Bangladesh revealed by microsatellite DNA markers and future planning” funded by Ministry of Science and Information and Communication Technology, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh in the Department of Fisheries Biology and Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh.
Supervision of research work
- Survey of prawn farming in Jessore District (2007).
- A comparative study on genetic management of brood fish between two government and two private hatcheries in Rajshahi District (2008).
- A survey on fish consumption in a selected slump in Rajshahi City Corporation (2008).
- Preference of fish as animal protein source by slum dwellers of Rajshahi City Corporation area (2009).
- Study on the effects of two inducing agents on induced breeding of a enlisted endangered fish Kalibaus (Labeo calbasu) (2010).
- Study of Length-weight relationship and condition factor of Amblypharyngodon mola (Hamilton, 1822) in lentic water body (2010).
- Study of Length-weight relationship and condition factor of Amblypharyngodon mola (Hamilton, 1822) in lotic water body (2011).
- Induced breeding of three indigenous fish species with Pituitary analogue GnRH combined with domperidone (2011).
- Induced breeding of three exotic fish species with pituitary analogue GnRH combined with domperidone (2011).
- Mondol, M. R. K., Islam, M. S. and Alam, M. S., 2006. Characterization of different strains of common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) (Cyprinidae: Cypriniformes) in Bangladesh using Microsatellite DNA Markers. Genetics and Molecular Biology, 29, 4:626-633.
- Chowdhury, M. M. R., Mondol, M. R. K. and Sarker, C., 2007. Seasonal variation of plankton population of Borobila beel in Rangpur district. University Journal of Zoology Rajshahi University, 26: 49-54.
- Khan, M. M., Rafiquzzaman, S. M., Rahmatullah, S. M., Mondol, M. R. K and Rahman, M. A. 2007. Effects of stocking density on the production of Freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) culture in pond system. Journal of the Bangladesh Society for Agricultural Science and Technology, 4:57-61.
- Chowdhury, M. M. R., Mondol, M. R. K. and Dewan, S., 2008. Seasonal dynamics of plankton in relation to some environmental factors in a Beel ecosystem. University Journal of Zoology Rajshahi University, 27: 55-58.
- Kabir, M. S. and Mondol, M. R. K., 2010. Socio-economic conditions of the pond owners of Pabna district. Bangladesh Journal of Progressive Science and Technology, 8(1): 107-110.
- M. M. Kamal, Mondol, M. R. K., Galib, S. M. and Nahar, M. D. G., 2010. A study on traditional prawn farming system at Monirumpur Upazila of Jessore; South-West district of Bangladesh. Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 3 (1): 143-146.
- MondolM. R. K., Chowdhury, M. M. R and Rahman, M. M. 2011. Water quality of Gawha Beel of Nawabganj District, Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Progressive Science and Technology, IX (2): 173-176.
- R. Islam, M. R. K. Mondol, M. A. Hossain. 2011. Breeding of an endangered fish (Labeo calbasu) with Pituitary Hormone and Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone (GnRH) combined with Domperidone (DOM) in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Progressive Science and Technology IX(2): 189-192.
Attendance at National and International Conferences/Workshops:
- International Conference on “Promoting Biotechnology in Bangladesh: National and International Perspective”. Organized by the Global Network for Biotechnologist of Bangladesh, held in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Sixteenth Annual General Meeting and National Conference on “Exotic Species and their Impact on Environment”. Organized by the Zoological Society of Bangladesh, held in Department of Zoology, Dhaka University, Bangladesh.
- Divisional Training Workshops on “Biosafety of GMOs”. Organized by Development of the National Biosafety Framework Project, Department of Environment, Ministry of Environment and Forest, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Held in Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
- Workshop with training on “Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM) and Scientific Methodology”. Organized by Bangladesh Center for Advanced Studies (BCAS). Held in Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
- Training Course on “Quality Assurance and Food Safety with Special Emphasis on HACCP System“. Organized by Department of Fisheries (DoF), Government of Bangladesh, Bangladesh Quality Support Programme (BQSP)-UNIDO, and Faculty of Fisheries, Bangladesh Agricultural University. Held in Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
- Workshop on “National Biotechnology Policy-2010”. Organized by National Institute of Biotechnology, Dhaka. Held in Atomic Energy Centre, Ramna, Dhaka.
Membership in professional societies:
- Krishibid (Agriculturalist) Institution of Bangladesh
- Fisheries Association of Bangladesh (FAB)
- Global Network for Biotechnologist of Bangladesh (GNOBB)
- Genetical Society of Bangladesh
- Zoological Society of Bangladesh.
- Bengali (native language): Excellent in Reading, Writing and Speaking
- English: Good in Reading, Writing and Speaking.
- Operating system: Windows 2000/Win XP
- Application: MS Word, MS Excel, Power Point, Adobe Photoshop, G-Stat, F-state etc
- Tools: Internet
- Date of Birth: 05/09/1979
- Nationality: Bangladeshi
Visited 371 times, 1 visits today | Have any fisheries relevant question?