Dr. Ghausiatur Reza Banu
Fisheries and Marine Resource Technology Discipline
Khulna University, Khulna-9208
Cell Phone: 01914067598
E-mail: kugrb at yahoo dot com
- Fish Health Management
- Fish and Shell Fish Pathology and Molecular Biology
- Fisheries Microbiology, Fish and Shellfish Immunology
Area of specialization:
- Fish Diseases
- Molecular Biology
- Fish Parasitology
- Fish Pathology and Molecular Biology
- Fisheries Microbiology
- Advance Fisheries Microbiology
- Aquatic Health Management
- Molecular Genetics
- Working as Principal Investigator (PI) in the project entitled “Use of probiotics- an approach of environmental friendly culture technique of specific pathogen free (SPF) shrimp in southwest coastal region of Bangladesh” for a period of one year from April 2010 to March 2011 funded by University Grants Commission of Bangladesh, Agargaon, Dhaka-1207.
- Working as Principal Investigator (PI) in the project entitled Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), a genome based diagnostic assay and immunohistopathology of White Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV) – strong weapon for the sustainable shrimp production in Bangladesh for a period of three years from July 2010 to June 2013 funded by Ministry of Education, Govt. of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh.
- Working as Principal Investigator (PI) in the project entitled “Detection of Macrobrachium rosenbergii Nodavirus (MrNV) — An emerging threat to the sustainable prawn production in Bangladesh” for a period of three years from October 2010 to September 2013 funded by Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (BAS) under the BAS-USDA Program in Agricultural and Life Sciences, NMST Bhavan, Agargaon, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh.
- Worked as Principal Investigator (PI) in the project entitled ‘‘Isolation and identification of bacterial pathogens from the economically important fish and shrimp collected from Khulna region, Bangladesh’’ for a period of six months from January to June, 2005 funded by Research Cell, Khulna University, Khulna.
- Worked as Researcher in the field of “Control of viral diseases of cultured fish” for a period of January 25, 2000 to March 31, 2001 under the Graduate School of Biosphere Science at Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan.
- Worked as Research Assistant (RA) under Disease Group (Bacteriological Unit) of the ODA-BAU Link Project for a period of 6 months from January to June 1995, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh.
- Position: Professor
Tenure: From 07 April 2008 to till the date
- Position: Associate Professor
Tenure: From 06 April 2004 to 07 April 2008
- Position: Assistant Professor
Tenure: From 01 April 1998 to 06 April 2004
- Position: Lecturer
Tenure: From 27 June 1995 to 31 March 1998
ublished Papers and Short Communication in Scientific Journals:
- G. R. Banu, K. Mori, M. Arimoto and T. Nakai (2007): Fate of betanodaviruses in the experimentally infected natural and non- natural host. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 24(2), 100-104.
- T. A Mahmud and G. R. Banu (2006): Commonly used chemotherapeutics in fish hatcheries at Jessore sadar upazila, Bangladesh. South Asian Journal of Agriculture, Vol. 1 (2), 1- 4.
- G. R. Banu and T. Nakai (2006): In vitro survivability of piscine nodavirus: A way to study on virus transmission. Progressive Agriculture, Vol. 17 (1), 227-234.
- G. R. Banu, K. Mori and T. Nakai (2006): A comparative study on brain tropism of betanodaviruses in young marine fish: a way to perform host specificity. Khulna University Studies, Vol. 7 (1), 45-48.
- G. R. Banu and R. Mohashin (2006): Isolation and biochemical characterization of bacterial pathogen in commercially important shrimp and fish collected from ghers in Satkhira district, Bangladesh. Khulna University Studies, Special Issue. 123-127.
- G. R. Banu, K. Mori, M. Arimoto, M. B. R. Chowdhury and T. Nakai (2004): Portal entry and progression of betanodavirus causing viral nervous necrosis in sevenband grouper Epinephelus septemfasciatus. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary Medicine, Vol. 2 (1), 83-87.
- G. R. Banu and T. Nakai (2004): Inoculation of balb/c mice with fish-pathogenic nodavirus. Journal of Comparative Pathology, Elsevier Publication, Vol. 130, 202-204.
- G. R. Banu and M. B. R. Chowdhury (1998): Survival of antibiotic resistant Aeromonas strains in different water conditions. Bangladesh Journal of Fisheries Research, Vol. 2, 69-72.
- Chowdhury M. B. R., S. M. R. Karim, G. R. Banu and M. S. Islam (1997): Bacterial flora in the slime and kidney of rajputi (Puntius gonionotus) in two fish farms of Bangladesh. In. T. W. Flegel and I. H. MacRae (eds.), Diseases in Asian Aquaculture III, Fish Health Section, Asian Fisheries Society, Manila, pp. 95-100.
Published Abstracts in Seminars/ Conferences:
- N. R. Mallick and G. R. Banu (2007): Loss of antenna- a threat to fresh water prawn farming. Published in the First National Workshop on Freshwater Prawn Farming, May 16, 2007, BAU, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
- G. R. Banu and M. M. Reza (2006): Isolation and biochemical characterization of bacterial pathogen of shrimp and fish collected from ghers at Asasuni thana in Satkhira district. Published in 1st Khulna University Research Cell Conference, August 28-29, 2006, Khulna University, Khulna, Bangladesh.
- G. R. Banu, K. Mori and T. Nakai (2006): Some aspects regarding multiplication and transmission of betanodavirus, the causative agent of viral nervous necrosis. Published in Second Fisheries Conference and Research Fair, 18-19, January, 2006, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- G. R. Banu, Y. Okinaka, T. Nakai, T. Ikenaga, K. Uemastu, K. Mori and M. Arimoto (2003): Axonal transport of betanodavirus through optic nerve to the brain in fish. Abstract published in Conference on Fish Pathology, October 3-5, 2003, Shimonoseki, Japan.
- G. R. Banu, K. Mori, M. Arimoto and T. Nakai (2003): A model for studying host specificity of betanodaviruses in the experimentally infected fish. Abstract published in Conference of Asian-Pacific Aquaculture, September 22-25, 2003, Bangkok, Thailand.
- G. R. Banu, T. Nakai, K. Mori and M. Arimoto (2002): Growth of betanodaviruses in experimentally infected fish. Abstracts published in Conference on Fish Pathology, September 13-15, 2002, Kochi, Japan.
- G. R. Banu and M. B. R. Chowdhury (1996): Survival of antibiotic resistant aeromonads in different types of water recovered from farmed fishes of Bangladesh. Abstract published in The Fourth Indian Fisheries Forum, Asian Fisheries Society, November 24-28, 1996, Kochi, Kerala State, India and the paper was published in Bangladesh Journal of Fisheries Research, Vol. 2, 69-72.
Participation in Conference/Seminar/Symposium/Workshop etc.:
- Successfully completed extension training on farms, homes and rural communities sponsored by Department of Agricultural Extension Education, Bangladesh Agricultural University, at Fulbaria Thana under Mymensingh District from July 16 to 21, 1994.
- Successfully completed a training course on “Administration Office Management and Communication” by Graduate Training Institute, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh during October 18 to 30, 1994.
- Successfully participated in “Orientation Programme on Business and Management Teaching/ Training Methodology” by Association of Management Development Institutions of Bangladesh (AMDIB) held during January 4 to 7, 1997 at the Business Administration Discipline, Khulna University, Khulna.
- Attended a training course on Fish Pathology & Parasitology held from December 12 to 23, 1998, organized by Department of Zoology, University of Dhaka and Institute of Fisheries and Marine Biology, University of Bergen, Norway.
- Attended a training course on “Quantitative Sampling and Statistical Methods” from January 31 to February 5, 1999 organized by the British Council Higher Education link programme between Khulna University and University of Wales (Aberystwyth and Bangor) supported by Department for International Development (DFID) UK.
- Successfully completed the training course on “AWhere-ACT & GIS based Bangladesh Country Almanac (BCA)” held during 18 to 19 June, 2006 at Khulna University, Khulna, Bangladesh organized by BRRI and CIMMYT.
Attended various seminars/ symposia both national and international Awards:
- Awarded Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship from 2000-2004 for Ph.D
- Awarded special ‘University Prize’ for securing First position in First Class in B. Sc. Fisheries (Honours) Examination of 1991.
Memberships, affiliation and administration:
- Life Member, Executive Committee Member, Editor, Advisor etc.
- Life Member, Fisheries Society of Bangladesh (FSB)
Academic degrees held:
- Degree: Ph.D in Applied Biological Science
Field and Thesis Title: “A comparative study in pathogenicity of betanodaviruses, the causative agent of Viral Nervous Necrosis (VNN)”.
Institute: Graduate School of Biosphere Sciences, Hiroshima University, Higashi-Hiroshima, Japan
- Degree: M.S
Field and Thesis Title: “Studies on the bacteria Aeromons spp. in farmed fish and water in Mymensingh region”
Institute: M. S. (Fisheries) in Fisheries Biology and Limnology
Class: First Class with Distinction (A+)
- Degree: B.Sc. (Honours)
Field/Subject: B. Sc. in Fisheries (Hons.)
Institute: Faculty of Fisheries, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh
Class: First Class First
Year: 1991 (held in 1994)
- Certificate: HSC
Institute: Muminunnessa Govt. Women’s College, Mymensingh, Dhaka Board, Bangladesh
Division/GPA: First Division
- Certificate: SSC
Institute: Agricultural University High School, Mymensingh, Dhaka Board, Bangladesh
Division/GPA: First Class
Visited 379 times, 1 visits today | Have any fisheries relevant question?