Sheikh Aftab Uddin
Institute of Marine Sciences and Fisheries
University of Chittagong
Email: [email protected]
- Marine Biotechnology
- Aquatic Animal Health
Area of specialization:
- Aquatic Animal Health
- Shrimp Hatchery
- Coastal aquaculture Management
- Teaching (Courses delivering)
- Research (Supervising/Supervised research works)
- Lecture on
- MS-309 Post Harvest Technology (Undergraduate level)
- MS-403 Fish Breeding and Genetics (Undergraduate level)
- MS-405 Fish and Shrimp Health Management (Undergraduate level)
- AQUA-501 Hatchery Operation and Management (Graduate level)
- June 2004 to June 2006
Institute of Marine Sciences and Fisheries, University of Chittagong, Bangladesh
- January 2001 to May 2003
Prime Shrimp Hatchery Limited, Kalatoly, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
- December 1999 to November 2000
Mousumi Chingri Hatchery & Nursery, South Patenga, Chittagong
Achieved 50 million post larvae production on Penaeus monodon.
- November 1998 to November 1999
Modern Hatchery LTD. Kalatoli, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Achieved 100 million post larvae production of Penaeus monodon.
- Sarkar M. A. Kawsar, Sheikh Aftabuddin, Golam Mustafa, Hidetaro Yasumitsu and Yasuhiro Ozeki. 2011. Toxicity assessment of a β-galactoside-binding lectin (galectin-1) from bullfrog Rana catesbeiana unfertilized eggs; Acta Pharmaceutica Sciencia.53:107-115.
- Sheikh Aftabuddin, and Naima Akter, 2011.Swollen hindgut syndrome (SHG) of tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon (Crustacea, Malacostraca, Penaeidae) post larvae: Identification of causing pathogenic bacteria and their sensitivity to some antibiotics. AACL Bioflux 4(1):15-20.
- Sarkar M. A. Kawsar, Sheikh Aftabuddin, Hidetaro Yasumitsu and Yasuhiro Ozeki. 2010. The cytotoxic activity of two D-galactos binding Lectins purified from Marine Invertebrates. Archives of Biological Science, 62(4):1027-1029.
- M. A. Rahman, M. S. Rana1, M. M. Zaman, S. A. Uddin, and R. Akter.2010. Antioxidant, Antibacterial and Cytotoxic Activity of the Methanol Extract of Urtica Crenulata, Journal of Scientific Research. 2 (1): 169-177.
- Sheikh Aftabuddin, Abu Hena, Mustafa. Kamal, Md. Abdul Kader, Aysha Akhtar, and Md. Shahadat Hossain.2009. Assessment of water quality at Kalatoly coast and a shrimp hatchery, Cox’s Bazar. Current World Environment, 4(2):123-130.
- Sheikh Aftabuddin, Md. Abdul Kader and Abu Hena Mustafa Kamal, Md. Zafar, 2009 Present status on the use of antibiotics and chemicals in shrimp hatcheries and grow-out ponds and their environmental implications in Bangladesh. AACL Bioflux 2(3):369-379.
- Sheikh Aftabuddin, Md. Zafar and Md. Abdul Kader; 2009. Marketing system of wild and hatchery reared fry of Penaeus monodon and its value chain in Bangladesh. African Journal of Marketing Management, 1(5): 122-127.
- Abu Hena Mustafa Kamal, Aysha Akhtar, M. Ashraful Azam Khan, Sheikh Aftab Uddin and Md. Rezowan, 2009. Community Structure of Macrobenthos in an Estuarine Salt Marsh Habitat at Cox’s Bazar; Bangladesh Journal of Marine Sciences 1(1): 119-132.
- Sheikh Aftabuddin, M. Zafar, A.S.M. Noman and A. Sharmin. 2008. Isolation and Identification of Vibrio spp. And Aeromonas spp. in wild and hatchery reared Penaeus monodon post larvae from Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Pakistan Journal of Marine Sciences,17:161-167.
- Sheikh Aftab Uddin and Mohammad Zafar; 2007. Mass culture of marine diatom Skeletonema costatum(Greville) Cleve collected from the Bay of Bengal, Pakistan Journal of Marine Sciences, 16(1): 33-38.
- Sheikh Aftab Uddin and Md. Abdul Kader; 2006.The use of Antibiotics in Shrimp Hatcheries in Bangladesh; Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science; 1 (1):64-67.
- Sheikh Aftab Uddin, Nani Gopal Das and Abu Hena Mustafa kamal ; 2005. Maturation and Spawning of Penaeid Shrimp Penaeus monodon Fabricius collected from off shore water of the Bay of Bengal; International Journal of Agriculture and Biology; 7(6): 925-927.
- M K Abu Hena, H Sharifuzzaman, S AftabUddin and M N Haque; 2005 Coastal Resources Utilization and Conservation Issues in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh; STREAM Journal; 4 (1): 7-8.
- M. I. Chowdhury, M. Kamal, M.N. Alam, S. Aftab Uddin and M. Zafar; 2004.Environmental radioactivity of the St. Martin’s Island of Bangladesh; Radioprotection; 39(1):13-21.
Received Foreign Courses/Training:
- Macrobrachium rosenbergii Aquaculture management course 2009.
Marine Aquaculture Institute, Kedah. Malaysia
- Shrimp Pathology Short Course, 2009
Shrimp Pathology Lab. Dept. of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, University of Arizona, USA
- The Biotechnology Core Techniques, 2007(includes DNA, RNA and Protein analysis)
College of Life Sciences, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.
Participation in Conference/Seminar/Symposium/Workshop:
- Pathogenicity and antibiotic susceptibility of Vibrio harveyi isolated from Penaeus monodon hatchery in Bangladesh
26th Annual Conference on Microbes and Environment, Chittagong, Bangladesh 21st January 2012
- Studies on the loose shell syndrome disease in Penaeus monodon Fabricius, from brackish water ponds in Bangladesh
Poster Presentation No. 1:
“Tahiti Aquaculture 2010” held in Tahiti, French Polynesia, from 6 to 11 December 2010.
- Antibiotics, chemicals and biological products used in disease treatments in shrimp aquaculture in Bangladesh
1st International Conference on Aquatic Animal Health Management and Diseases, 27-28 January, 2009, Tehran, Iran
Memberships, affiliation and administration:
- Bangladesh Society of Microbiologists
- Bangladesh Fisheries Research Forum
- Bangladesh Marine Sciences Association
Academic degrees held:
- Name of Degree: PhD
Field: Marine Science (Aquatic Animal Health)
Institute: Institute of Marine Sciences and Fisheries
Year : 2012
- Name of Degree: M.Sc
Field: Marine Science (Environmental Pollution at St. Martin’s Island)
Institute: Institute of Marine Sciences
- Name of Degree: B.Sc. (Honours)
Field/Subject: Marine Science
Institute: Marine Science
- Name of Certificate: HSC
Institute: Cantonment Public School and College, Chittagong
- Name of Certificate: SSC
Institute: Fathepur High School, Hathazari, Chittagong
Visited 772 times, 1 visits today | Have any fisheries relevant question?